Getting Unmarried



The Mississauga Hot Potatoes just unloaded a very hot Cassius Clay. Cone 12 tipping back to front, side to side. There were a lot of very happy Hot Potatoes with everyone going home with a keeper.
We came back to The Cactus Lounge for some pizza and a crit of two of each person’s favourite pots. I think this is pretty new to all of them and I could sense a nervousness. It is not about the person it is about the work. I get it! It is hard to not take it personally but it is about growth and how to get there not you and your feelings. If you want to be told it’s pretty go home and show it to your partner or your family. To keep the marriage alive they will tell you what ya’d like  to hear.  If you want the truth put it on the banding wheel and let’s talk.
I also gave a little lesson on how to stick things on using JB Weld and how to repair cracks using Bray Patch.
 After 8 women leave your house you know it’s going to be a mess so after clean up I headed back to pick up my work. I told ya the kiln was hot and putting down Bruce Dehnert’s BgreeD and then layering salt yellow, Rhodes black, copper red, and Korean celadon over top I had some pots married to the kiln shard shelves I had beneath them. I tried getting one off but it was a lasting marriage that my trying to break up ended in disaster.
So I am going to take a lesson from the Capital “A” artists  and marriage counsellors and  celebrate the marriage by turning this one into a piece. I am going to glaze the kiln shelf and refire it. I told the Hot Potatoes during the repair demo that it ain’t over till it’s over so what is good for the goose is good for the gander.
This couple are beautiful together in their marriage so I will celebrate it. It was supposed to be a life long affair and so it will be. 40% of Canadians are now living single so I will honour the ones that stand together in wedlock and not try to ruin both their lives by cracking the foundation they stand on.
The married couple are downstairs in the studio as I prepare supper for one and wonder if only the romance hadn’t been so hot whether I could have had one of them here on the table to enjoy supper and  my favourite night Saturday Night Blues with me. 

As I type this Elizabeth at Shane Norrie Contemporary just sold one of my vases for a 70th birthday present. I wonder if they are married?

Comments

Unknown said…
Stunning! The magic transformation of clay and fire in the hands of a skilled craftsman.

Popular Posts